I have been working as a live sound engineer on a freelance basis since November 2004, gaining over 8 years professional experience as a monitors/FOH mixer and system engineer. I have gained valuable national and international touring experience in a wide variety of small to large venues for a diverse range of event types.
Working directly for artists as well as for production companies, here is a brief selection of projects that I have recently worked on.
- Pixie Lott / Blue / Boy George / Culture Club / Kim Wilde / Howard Jones / Rewind All-Star Band / DJ Yoda / Bill Wyman Monitor Engineer 2010 - PresentHaving worked with many of the artists for a number of years, I mix monitors (IEMs and wedges) on their tours and one-off shows.
- British Summertime at Hyde Park [Capital Sound] RF Technician and Audio Patch July 2013I was responsible for RF co-ordination of up to 40 frequencies per day with acts including The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi and J-Lo, as well as audio patch with 2 line-systems and broadcast feeds.
- Dappy [Capital Sound] FOH System Technician December 2012I was Martin Audio W8LC line array tech for a selection of shows on Dappy’s UK tour.
- Oxford Street Christmas Lights [Capital Sound] FOH Engineer November 2012Mixed FOH and monitors for a number of high-profile acts as part of the London celebrations. A challenging show due to a 5 metre high stage, no sound checks and a backstage mix position.
- Jason Derulo at MTV EMAs [Cato] Monitor Engineer November 2011Mixed in-ear monitors for Jason Derulo at his MTV EMA performance in Belfast.
- Cannizaro Park Festival [Cannizaro Events] Head Of Sound July 2007/2008/2010With acts ranging from opera and orchestras to rock bands, I was in charge of mixing FOH or monitors as required and looking after guest engineers over the 3 week run each year.
- The Original Wailers FOH Engineer May 2009 - January 2010Working for the band on a worldwide tour, I was mixing FOH sound in venues ranging from small clubs to arenas and large festivals.
- Department Of Health Events [Thames Audio] Sound Engineer 2008-2012At these regular meetings by government officials, I am in charge of mixing sound for the house, as well as distribution to ISDN link, VT, webcast and archive recording.
- Technical Earth Trainee Technical Engineer June 2003 - August 2004As a trainee, I was involved with tasks such as studio installation, Pro Tools system building, service, technical support and wiring.
- Guildford Civic Hall Sound Engineer January 2002 - June 2003I worked at this venue as a casual in-house sound engineer, while covering lighting, follow spots and local crew work at larger shows until it was closed down for redevelopment.
- USSU Stage Crew Sound Engineer September 2001 - July 2005As a volunteer, I worked on a regular basis for the University of Surrey Students´ Union while studying for my degree, running shows as FOH/monitor engineer or covering other production roles as required.
- Experience in operating, configuring and setting-up a diverse range of complex professional sound reinforcement equipment, including most modern digital consoles, DSP and line arrays, with the ability to rapidly adapt when faced with unknown hardware
- Understanding and practice of the different approaches required for events ranging from lectures, corporate events, theatre and comedy through to bands, orchestral and festivals
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of RF technology and co-ordination
- Practical expertise of dual-FFT based audio analysis equipment, specifically Smaart
- Logical understanding of signal flow and using test equipment for rapid faultfinding
- A good knowledge base of audio theory ranging from acoustics and electroacoustics to audio engineering and electronics
- Several years experience multi-track recording using both analogue and digital recording systems, including large-scale in-line consoles and 2" tape
- Experience making straight to stereo recordings in studio and location settings using co-incident pair, spaced pair, spot and hybrid microphone techniques
- A broad practical understanding of existing computer-based audio and MIDI sequencing packages, particularly ProTools and Logic Pro, in addition to standalone digital recorders
- I have an easy-going, friendly, approachable and helpful nature, whilst maintaining a meticulous and professional attitude at all times
- Considerable IT knowledge of wired/wireless networking, audio hardware control software, array prediction as well as commercial office software and web programming
- Experienced wireman with knowledge of most modern single and multi-pin connectors
- Graduate with 2:1 classification from the BMus (Hons) Music and Sound Recording (Tonmeister) course of the University of Surrey (June 2005)
- Associateship of the University of Surrey with Distinction (June 2005)
Seminars and Short Courses
- Martin Audio MLA M-Tech Certified (February 2014).
- Certified Midas Digital System Engineer (December 2009).
- Attended Meyer Sound 'SIM3 Training and System Design' Seminar (December 2008).
My time on the road has inspired an interest in both photography and cookery. I also enjoy listening to many kinds of music in my spare time, as well as playing the bass guitar, keyboards and swimming.