I have been working as a live sound engineer on a freelance basis since November 2004, gaining over 12 years professional experience as a monitors / FOH mixer, RF tech and system engineer. I have gained valuable national and international touring experience in a wide variety of small to large venues for a diverse range of event types.
Working directly for artists as well as for production companies, here is a brief selection of projects that I have recently worked on.
- Various Artists Monitor Engineer, Worldwide Touring 2010 - PresentI have worked directly for artists including Little Mix, Pixie Lott, Leona Lewis, Laura Mvula, Blue, Jason Derulo, Rick Astley, Culture Club, Level 42, Kim Wilde and Bill Wyman at various times in the past and up to the present day. I mix monitors (IEMs and wedges) on their tours and one-off shows.
- Tom Jones Monitor Engineer, Worldwide Tour Jun 2017I mixed monitors for Tom Jones on the first leg of his summer 2017 tour.
- Sveriges Historia | Den nakna sanningen [Soundforce] FOH Engineer, SE Oct - Dec 2015I mixed FOH for Özz Nûjen & Måns Möller’s residency at Rival, Stockholm and Draken, Göteborg.
- Il Divo [Capital Sound] Audio Crew Chief / Monitor and RF Technician, EU Touring 2014 - PresentI am audio crew chief as well as looking after monitors and RF co-ordination for Il Divo’s European and Russian arena tours.
- Bo Kaspers Orkester [Soundforce] Monitor Engineer, SE Touring Mar-Apr 2014I mixed in-ear monitors for Bo Kaspers Orkester's spring tour around Sweden.
- Rewind / Eddie The Eagle Album Launch [Capital Sound] Monitor Engineer, UK Festivals / One-offs 2013 - PresentI mix monitors (IEMs and wedges) for the Rewind All-Star House Band, appearing at festivals with artists including Gary Barlow, Midge Ure, Tony Hadley, ABC and Leo Sayer.
- British Summertime at Hyde Park [Capital Sound] Monitor Engineer and RF Technician, London UK 2013 - PresentI am monitor engineer, system technician and RF co-ordinator at this annual high-profile festival in the centre of London, with acts including The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi and Taylor Swift.
- Dappy [Capital Sound] FOH System Technician, UK Touring December 2012I was Martin Audio W8LC line array tech for a selection of shows on Dappy’s UK tour.
- Oxford Street Christmas Lights [Capital Sound] FOH Engineer, London, UK November 2012Mixed FOH and monitors for a number of high-profile acts as part of the London celebrations. A challenging show due to a 5 metre high stage, no sound checks and a backstage mix position.
- The Original Wailers FOH Engineer, Worldwide Touring May 2009 - January 2010Working for the band on a worldwide tour, I was mixing FOH sound in venues ranging from small clubs to arenas and large festivals.
- Department Of Health Events [Thames Audio] Sound Engineer, London, UK 2008 - 2012At these regular meetings by government officials, I am in charge of mixing sound for the house, as well as distribution to ISDN link, VT, webcast and archive recording.
- Technical Earth Trainee Technical Engineer June 2003 - August 2004As a trainee, I was involved with tasks such as studio installation, Pro Tools system building, service, technical support and wiring.
- Guildford Civic Hall Sound Engineer January 2002 - June 2003I worked at this venue as a casual in-house sound engineer, while covering lighting, follow spots and local crew work at larger shows until it was closed down for redevelopment.
- USSU Stage Crew Sound Engineer September 2001 - July 2005As a volunteer, I worked on a regular basis for the University of Surrey Students´ Union while studying for my degree, running shows as FOH/monitor engineer or covering other production roles as required.
- Sympathetic, patient, attentive and experienced live sound mixer with a good analytical but also musical ear
- Experience in operating, configuring and setting-up a diverse range of complex professional sound reinforcement equipment, including most modern digital consoles, DSP and line arrays, with the ability to rapidly adapt when faced with unknown hardware
- A comprehensive knowledge and understanding of RF technology and co-ordination
- Practical expertise of dual-FFT based audio analysis equipment, specifically Smaart
- Logical understanding of signal flow and using test equipment for rapid faultfinding
- A good knowledge base of audio theory ranging from acoustics and electroacoustics to audio engineering and electronics
- Several years experience multi-track recording using both analogue and digital recording systems, including large-scale in-line consoles and 2" tape
- Experience making straight to stereo recordings in studio and location settings using co-incident pair, spaced pair, spot and hybrid microphone techniques
- A broad practical understanding of existing computer-based audio and MIDI sequencing packages, particularly ProTools and Logic Pro, in addition to standalone digital recorders
- I have an easy-going, friendly, approachable and helpful nature, whilst maintaining a meticulous and professional attitude at all times
- Considerable IT knowledge of wired/wireless networking, audio control software, array prediction and computer programming as well as commercial office software
- Experienced wireman with knowledge of most modern single and multi-pin connectors
- Graduate with 2:1 classification from the BMus (Hons) Music and Sound Recording (Tonmeister) course of the University of Surrey (June 2005)
- Associateship of the University of Surrey with Distinction (June 2005)
Seminars and Short Courses
- Martin Audio MLA M-Tech Certified (February 2014).
- Certified Midas Digital System Engineer (December 2009).
- Attended Meyer Sound 'SIM3 Training and System Design' Seminar (December 2008).
My time on the road has inspired an interest in both photography and cookery. I also enjoy listening to many kinds of music in spare time, as well as playing the piano and swimming.